The South Beauregard Museum Effort

In 1906 Members of the King-Ryder Lumber Company sawmill at Bon Ami, Louisiana were directed by Mr. Robert A Long of the Long-Bell Lumber Company to select a site in what was then Calcasieu Parish to build a sawmill and town that was to become the largest Long-Bell Lumber Company Sawmill in Louisiana. A site was selected and Longville ( named after Mr. Long) was born.


Longville Lumber Co. Sawmill, at the "green chain".
Click for full (1517x935x256 grey, 180K) image

Work began on the construction of a 300,000 ft/day sawmill and planing mill. Timber cutting operations began and huge steam-driven pieces of equipment known as Skidders and Loaders operated off Tram Railroads built into the virgin pine forests.


Downtown Longville.
Click for full (1472x736x256 grey, 146K) image

A modern town complete with such conveniences as electric lights, water and sewer systems was built to support the workers in the sawmill. A Commissary or "Company Store" at Longville carried everything from cream to caskets. Entertainment was supplied at the "Dixie Theater" where silent picture shows were shown. Westerns were popular on Friday nights. The 60 room "Southern Hotel" was the most impressive structure built in Beauregard Parish during the sawmill era. A school was built in 1908 to furnish the educational needs of the families of the Longville Lumber Company.

This is just a small portion of the history of Longville as written in the book "A History of the Long-Bell Lumber Company and 'The Family' at Longville, La. 1906-1934" by local author Joe V. Warren, Jr. of DeRidder, La.


The Southern Hotel, at Longville, LA.
(1401x1115x256 grey, 232K)

Longville Fire Department
(1403x1124x256 grey, 234K)

Longville Elementary - built 1908
(1406x1136x256 grey, 200K)

Engine #93 - Longville Lumber Co.
(1459x922x256 grey, 182K)
Click any image or description to see the full image.

BONUS: Additional page with more images.

Other Museums